Thursday 4 November 2010

Golden frame







This is the first stages of Gold leafing my 'stolen frame' i am very aware of the connotations of frame theory and what the application of gold to a found object means. But the aspect of this that interests me the most is the time spend on changing this object. The repetition of applying the size,waiting for it to dry and layering the Gold leaf. It makes me feel very close to the object i feel an odd sense of ownership. This idea of making the frame gold was not thought out, it just kind of happened it was not an intentional or a conscious intention, i did just wake up and decided that today i shall gold leaf the frame. My main fear about carrying on with this is whether it's OK? am i allowed to simply do- without having reason. Is that the artists prerogative they can do and the audience decides what is is they project on to the object? I am currently researching outsider art and it strikes me that i have many similarities to an outsider artist, in the sense that i am repetitive in my work, often using the same motifs over and over and i create work for the simple love of creating, and that my main audience is myself i don't often create work with an audience in mind - that comes afterwards. Does the fact that i don't seek the typical institutionalized aesthetic also make me an outsider artist-all be it one from inside the institution itself????

No comments:

Post a Comment