Friday 18 February 2011

Final major project proposal



Throughout our final major project I aim to continue to explore the theme of exhibition, by staging a series of exhibitions, in the run up to the final show. Using film, photography, found objects and props I plan to create one off events around Leeds that question the role the institution plays in the exhibiting of artwork. Throughout this period I will collaborate with other students pursuing the task of curation.
An interesting aspect of my practice in the joining together of different rolls, during the previous brief I realized I enjoyed the task of curating not only my own work but that of other students, I plan to fully explore this through a series of staged events. By exploring my own interest in outsider and street art and juxtaposing this with exhibiting in different institutions. I hope to fully analyze the way in which audience reaction is integral to my work and how changing the context of how work is view can have a great impact of the overall work.
My work will encompass different themes and strategies mainly concerned with the role the institution plays in the art world, not only will I explore this through the attending of weekly public art events that are currently held throughout Leeds, I will also stage my own events.
These events will centre around previous explored themes, such as random happenings, event scores but also using institutions such as the Art Market to promote planned D.I.Y artist led gallery events.
Throughout the time I am working on my FMP I will also be volunteering at Project Space Leeds, working alongside their gallery assistant I hope to gain experience of what it would be like to work within a gallery and that I will gain some insight of how the public interoperate different exhibitions. During the Easter break I will also be volunteering at FACT Liverpool, a cinema based art gallery, which is one of the UK’s leading organizations for the support and exhibition of art, film and new media art. From doing this I hope to gain some insight of how different types of exhibitions are set up and the different roles that people have.

Platforms and strategies
To fully expedite my goals I will use the first moth of this project to research and contact organizers of different public led events that are currently happening in and around Leeds.
My goal is to stage weekly/monthly exhibitions using an array of different tactics, some of these exhibitions will be undertaken by myself, as a way to investigate the different platforms of how art in the modern day can be experienced outside of a typical gallery setting. Others will be collaboration with different students (see attached manifesto).

No comments:

Post a Comment