Monday 2 May 2011

The context of an artwork's presentation has always mattered.

So im constantly trying to find a way of exhibiting my final major project that stands out from the way we are used to seeing work displayed in a gallery setting. I can't seem to explain myself fully in the way that i want, but i know that i don't want to display my piece in a conventional way and i want the viewer to have some sort or interaction with the piece which i feel is hard to achieve when it's video work that i am showing. So how to display it becomes almost as important as the work itself, and i do have to exhibit in someway within the confines of a gallery setting wether i like it or not and how to do that is a major concern for me. How do i convey that fact that i don't intend for my work to be seen in that context when that is how people will see it for the first time? and whilst i am in a questioning mood how can i have ambitions to be a curator within a gallery when i don't in fact want my own work to be in any sort of gallery. Maybe that is the point - its the fact that it is my own work that is troubling me, when i have conversations with my peers about the possible ways in which their work should be shown i am fine, i can come up with a hundred different ways but for myself i draw a blank. I fear i am becoming less and less the practitioner that i wanted to be for oh so many years and am leaning more and more towards wanting to be a curator and i have to say that scares me i have always wanted to make to create and now i have no will to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment