Sunday 15 May 2011

The Context of my work has changed.....

At the beginning of this project i aimed to explore street art and its realm within the art world, and undertaking this within my practice however through the methods i have used the connotations have changed. I feel that my work questions the actual gallery environment and the way in which work is displayed and  the spaces in which it is displayed. I still feel that working within a street environment and not having studio based work for exhibition is an area that I'm interested in working in, but the sticking point that i have with working on street art based work is that i only want it to exist on the street, and not at any point to be put in a galley in any way. And their lies my major problem it isn't really possible to only have work shown in this way as how do you show that your work exists in that space- by recording it and by doing this the work ultimately ends up as documentation. Its a photograph of a piece or its a recording of the event  or you put that work in the gallery and it changes the work and it becomes gallery based. The use of 'props' within my work i.e miniature plinths and small gold frames and the uses of miniature throughout my work act as a reaction to the galley space- Ive used these in work to portray to the viewer that what they are looking at is in fact art- its a very literal way to do this however as my work is meant to be playful i feel that it can handle the sometimes Corney connotations that go along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment